Honduran tilapia with black bean rice and salsa (serves 4)
4 tilapia fillets
1 large egg
small plate of flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp dried thyme
Rice and black beans
large handful dried black beans
long grain rice
can coconut milk
1/2 red onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 ripe mango
1 small ripe avocado
juice of 1/2 lime
small handful chopped coriander
1/2 tsp chopped red chilli
1. Soak black beans overnight in plenty of cold water.
2. Combine all ingredients for spice mix, then spread evenly over tilapia fillets. For best results leave for an hour or two for the flavours to set in.
3. Boil rice and beans together until both are done. Fry chopped onion and garlic till soft, add rice, beans and coconut milk. Cook until rice is sticky with coconut, but not wet. Set aside.
4. Fill the bottom of a frying pan with oil to about 3mm depth. Retrieve spiced tilapia fillets, dip each one in egg then flour then fry in the hot oil until golden.
5. For the salsa chop ingredients and combine. Season to taste with salt, pepper and coriander.
6. Serve fish with black bean rice and plenty of salsa. Scoff!